Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 180

Thread: New Altec speaker boxes Part 2

  1. #71
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Jammin Jungle Jim:
    RKLee
    Can you send me a copy of the Altec info you spoke of? "Altec publication AL-6030-1 "LOUDSPEAKER ENCLOSURE-Their Design and Use,"
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...enc-manual.htm

    First rev., so may be newer versions, but the damping part is the same.......

    GM

  2. #72
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New Altec speaker boxes Part 2


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    "Do we have a library somewhere here on this site. If so, and if this booklet is not there I would like contribute a scanned version. "

    Several versions here-
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...ltec-plans.htm

    Don't think they have the issue you have though.

  3. #73
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Old Guy:

    Don't think they have the issue you have though.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    Lower r.h. corner forums : http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ign/page32.jpg

    GM

  4. #74
    Senior Hostboard Member Ronald Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 28th, 2007
    Posts
    344
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by GM:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Old Guy:

    Don't think they have the issue you have though.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    Lower r.h. corner forums : http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...ign/page32.jpg

    GM
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Way too cool! You're a gentleman and a scholar, of course not necessarily in that order. That is the exact same booklet that I have, but mine isn't yellowed around the edges, but it will do. That saves me the trouble of scanning it in. This little booklet was the bible of how I built my enclosure.

    The material on acoustic fiberglass damping material is on page 16 & 17. It also tells you how to do determine what the optimum amount of material with a simple battery test.

  5. #75
    Senior Hostboard Member
    New Altec speaker boxes Part 2


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    forums What I get for not checking the back covers.

    There is also a bunch of newer stuff at:

    http://www.cpcproductions.com/altec_..._resources.htm

  6. #76
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gary; I have 5 Model 19?s, all have fabric covering the fiberglass. The fabric covers a little over half of the fiber glass. There is no sign of paint ever being used. Gary, click on the following link and scroll down. There you will see a Model 19 with the fabric I mentioned. This isn?t one of mine but someone else's. http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...&f=3729&t=2518 Perhaps someone reading this thread can answer the question; Did Altec ever use paint inside to darken fiberglass insulation? One of the things I noticed in your picture, the area under the lip of the speaker is extremely light compared to the surrounding wood. It?s as though the wood was stained and finished with the speaker in place. None of mine are like that. There is a slight difference in mine but nothing like what I see in your picture. I have no time right now but I?ll try Monday or so to take some pictures and post them in this thread.

    Endeeinn; One of the cups pictured have additional ribs for bracing. Please note, the area that holds the binding posts are ?Z? shaped in both cups. It isn?t a flat surface. The ?Z? shape would act as bracing. I don?t think they would vibrate at all. Altec used plastic cups that were about 3 inches across and flat, without the the ?Z? shape or extra ribs. I?ve never heard anyone complain about them vibrating.

    GM; Thanks for the link

    RKLee; Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

    Anyone have opinions as to what wire I should use inside to connect the terminals to the crossover or 604?s?

  7. #77
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gary; I have 5 Model 19?s, all have fabric covering the fiberglass. The fabric covers a little over half of the fiber glass. There is no sign of paint ever being used. Gary, click on the following link and scroll down. There you will see a Model 19 with the fabric I mentioned. This isn?t one of mine but someone else's. http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ult...&f=3729&t=2518 Perhaps someone reading this thread can answer the question; Did Altec ever use paint inside to darken fiberglass insulation? One of the things I noticed in your picture, the area under the lip of the speaker is extremely light compared to the surrounding wood. It?s as though the wood was stained and finished with the speaker in place. None of mine are like that. There is a slight difference in mine but nothing like what I see in your picture. I have no time right now but I?ll try Monday or so to take some pictures and post them in this thread.

    Endeeinn; One of the cups pictured have additional ribs for bracing. Please note, the area that holds the binding posts are ?Z? shaped in both cups. It isn?t a flat surface. The ?Z? shape would act as bracing. I don?t think they would vibrate at all. Altec used plastic cups that were about 3 inches across and flat, with out the the ?Z? shape or extra ribs. I?ve never heard anyone complain about them vibrating.

    GM; Thanks for the link

    RKLee; Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

    Anyone have opinions as to what wire I should use inside to connect the terminals to the crossover or 604?s?

  8. #78
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Jammin Jungle Jim:
    Gary; I have 5 Model 19?s, all have fabric covering the fiberglass. The fabric covers a little over half of the fiber glass. There is no sign of paint ever being used.

    Did Altec ever use paint inside to darken fiberglass insulation?

    GM; Thanks for the link

    Anyone have opinions as to what wire I should use inside to connect the terminals to the crossover or 604?s?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Greets!

    You're welcome!

    These two along with the early 846Bs were the most blatant that came to mind, but I've seen darkened insulation in vent openings too, though I couldn't find any pics in a quick search to support it.

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...lona/page2.jpg

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...iago/page2.jpg

    That said, the only (early) M19 I gave close scrutiny to had a fine black cloth screen stretched behind its vent, so I couldn't potentially see any of the cab's construction.

    At least into the early '80s, Altec was fairly particular about its wiring, specing it as the electrical component it was in the signal chain, so I recommend using whatever they did with the original, ditto when (re) wiring XOs and choosing its components WRT resistance, inductance, capacitance. That, or use what you want and add series resistance if needed to balance out the system in the form of the appropriate small gauge magnet wire or similar if you don't use an amp with adjustable damping.

    GM

  9. #79
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't believe we are disputing these facts here!
    I have lived with 19s since I am 24 and will be 55 next week. I showed pics of real, unmolested 19s with black spray paint (BY ALTEC) on the left side to darken the insulation for the sole purpose of eye appeal.
    You show me a picture in another thread of a 19 cabinet that has clearly been molested! Note the diagnal brace on the rear panel--- That is not FACTORY which tells me someone was in there doing some added bracing and in the process they draped some cloth fabric to cover the new insulation.

    I can't speak for the newer model 19s after around 1979 but show me pictures of this fabric covering the insulation like I showed of what Altec used in the models made up to 1978 and tell me you know for sure this is FACTORY stock.

    Being a lover of the model 19 I have seen many, checked many out and have never seen any fabric draped over the insulation--------- Just Paint to darken it.

    I am sure there are guys here who own UNMOLESTED 19s so lets hear whats in their cabinets where the port is to darken the hole.

    Gary

  10. #80
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The area under the flange of the woofer that is lighter is most likely because the wood has been oiled through the years and this are under the flange did not get oiled. It could also be some bleaching from the gasket behind the flange soaking up what ever stain or oil was on the wood to begin with.
    This cabinet had all the original drivers from the day it was built and I am most assuredly the first to ever remove anything from it.
    Apparently, you do not value my input here and doubt what ever I add.
    I wish you luck with your project.

    Gary

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.